August 12, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 33): There's Monsters Under My Bed

Welcome to Week 33 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012.  We are writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, please take a peek at the last two years of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to record your memories. Just take a few minutes and write.

What were your childhood fears and phobias? Mine were monsters under my bed and in the cubby-hole in my bedroom. I was terrified of the dark but my mother wouldn't let me have a nightlight as she considered that giving in to "silliness".

One night my oldest brother hid under my bed without my knowing. I was pretty young, probably 7 or 8. As I lay there in the dark wondering if I caught a glimpse of a monster in the shadows, he popped out from under the bed and grabbed me around my throat. I was hysterical as I couldn't see who it was, and of course thought it was either a monster or a killer.

I still have a phobia about anyone touching the front of my neck with their hands. It freaks me right out. What about you? Any phobias from your childhood traumas?

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I would be terrified right now if someone did that! Poor little kid. I was afraid of tornados.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I hope you got payback on him at some stage. Monsters, in whatever shape, always seem so real when you're a child.