July 15, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 29): Wedding Bells

Welcome to Week 29 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012.  We are writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, please take a peek at the last two years of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to record your memories. Just write.

This past week the memories of weddings has filled my mind. I was 9 when my oldest brother got married. A few years later it was my next brother's turn. My sister got married when I was about 14 and I still remember the beautiful mauve dress I got to wear as one of her bridesmaids!

Wedding #1
I loved weddings - so much colour and fun with music and laughing and dancing. To me it was a magical time. And then came my own (first) wedding. Hmmm... a different story entirely!

Mind you I did love my gown and the colours I chose - yellow and white. And my best friend was my maid of honour.

Wedding #2
But everything that could go wrong, did. Including me changing my mind before the ceremony and telling my brother, who was giving me away, that I wasn't going through with the wedding. He was pretty stern that I was indeed marching down that aisle towards my groom!

And so I was married and off to Quebec for a weekend honeymoon. Then it was back to University for both of us.

My second wedding (16 years after my first) was a much happier one. We chose to have a very small wedding at our home. This time I had  purple-blue flowers, and I kept it very simple with one witness. I wore an electric blue dress trimmed in black with a huge black wide-brimmed hat (hey it was the 80s!) 

Wedding #3
Several years later I was widowed, and a few years later came a third wedding (30 years after my first!), also at home. I love informal weddings at home! My dress was purple and I had balloons in purple, white and yellow. Only one bouquet of flowers - you can see them on the left but I loved my balloons.

What are your memories of weddings - your own or other family members?


No comments: