July 8, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 28): Burn Baby Burn!

Welcome to Week 28 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012.  We are writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, please take a peek at the last two years of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to record your memories. Just write.

One of my daughters-in-law got sunburned yesterday sitting on a beach under the shade of a beach umbrella. She thought she was protected but of course she wasn't, as the harmful UV rays can penetrate the material of the umbrella and bounce off the sand and water! It reminded me of the difference in our awareness and avoidance of sun exposure now from when I was a child.

As a child, my mom had me outside as much as possible. No hat, no sunscreen, getting as brown as a berry. As a teenager my friends and I loved to put a blanket in the backyard and lie there in the sun all day, turning every so often like shish-kabobs. In fact we used to lather ourselves with baby oil so that we'd burn faster and thus tan even faster!

As a young married woman on a holiday in the Caribbean, my goal was to come back home as tanned as possible! I lived on a boat every summer from 1982 to 1988, and lay out in my bikini enjoying the wonderful sun whenever possible.

How those days have changed! Now we know better and if we're smart, we use the best sunscreen possible, wear a hat and limit our exposure time in the sun. And we protect our children like crazy!

I have to admit I'm sorry that we discovered the sun's rays were so harmful as it was a lot of fun to work on a tan and soak up those rays. But I also shudder thinking of all the years of exposure I had before the knowledge was available as to how harmful it was.

What do you remember about sunning and playing outside in the summer as a child?

1 comment:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

With celtic colouring I was never one to sunbake yet even so I've had several skin cancers including a melanoma so I'm pleased that we now have good sublock and know better. But then I also lived in the sub-tropics and tropics.