June 24, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 26): Fav Desserts!

Welcome to Week 26 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012. This is our third year writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, please take a peek at the last two years of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to write.

My friend Annette posted a question on her Facebook status recently. It seemed like a great Sharing Memories prompt! So here is Annette's question:

What were your favourite desserts while growing up? It's a tossup between fried bread dough with icing sugar, rice pudding or chocolate cake with whipped cream.
I've never heard of fried bread dough and would love to know more! My mother wasn't a very good cook and I only recall having the same dessert night after night - apples baked in the oven with brown sugar. I hated them. Still despise baked apples to this day.

My sister claims we had apple pies on the weekend but I don't remember any.

One thing my mom did make about three times a year were Sour Cream Twists. I loved those! I asked her years ago for the recipe and she claimed she never made them. Funny thing though, after she passed away I took her recipe box home with me and guess what I found? Her Sour Cream Twist recipe.

I was quite excited and wanted to try making them so I set the recipe card aside. And in an odd twist of fate (co-incidence? destiny?) the card disappeared before I could type the recipe out or try it. That was two years ago and I've never found it. If anyone knows how to make Sour Cream Twists I'd sure like the recipe!

They were like bread dough, kind of looped and then braided into 4" or 5" strips, then dipped in sugar. And obviously they had sour cream in them! I'm not much help and my sister doesn't remember them so I can't provide any more details. 

What was your favourite dessert growing up?

2 comments:

Annette Fulford said...

You take a slice of bread dough stretch it out to make it a bit bigger (say 4 inches by 4 inches), then you throw it into hot oil like you would for donuts. Make both sides golden brown and cover with icing sugar when you take it out. It was a favourite treat for my family when growing up. My own family favourite now is Chocolate cake with Chocolate pudding icing.

Lorine McGinnis Schulze said...

Thanks Annette!

My boys still love my English Trifle best.