November 27, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 48): Kindergarten Memories

It's Week 48 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2011.

Please join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Share a memory here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but write! Leave a legacy for your children and grandchildren.

This week I decided I needed to write more details about school - public school, high school - friends, teachers, classes I liked, classes i didn't like, events I remember.

Last year I suggested a few rather generic memes about school - such as Favorite Subject, Grades 7 & 8, First Day of Kindergarten, Favorite Teachers and so on. But if I want my Genealogy Journal to be of interest and genealogical and historical value I need to add more details. To do that I am going to write about each year of school. And I'm going to take one week for each grade so that I can really get into details.

Lorine in Kindergarten
So this week I'm starting with Kindergarten - what do you  remember about it? How old were you? Who was your teacher? Did you like him/her? What kinds of things did you do in Kindergarten? Do you recall any of the kids you had in your class? Do you have class photos?

My memories of Kindergarten are very limited. I was excited to go to school. I was almost 5 and could already read so I was really looking forward to books. I remember sitting in a circle on the floor looking at the rack of picture story books and almost drooling with anticipation! But then my teacher (whose name escapes me) told me that we were not allowed to touch the books, that she would read to us from them. Talk about disappointment!

The school I went to was Lord Elgin and it was a very small school covering Grades K to 6 only. It was quite a walk from our house so my older sister was responsible for getting me to school and home again. We were forbidden to walk on the ice-covered creek in the winter but using it to get there took quite a bit of time and distance off our walk. So sometimes my sister took me that way, warning me (and threatening me!) that I was not to tell Mom or Dad.

Unfortunately for both of us, I fell one day and got a huge goose-egg sized bump on my forehead. In my defense I have to add that as usual I was too slow-moving for my sister and she grabbed my wrist to yank me along which threw me off balance and down I went!

That lump on my head made a trip to the school nurse necessary and the next thing I knew my mom was being phoned at work to come and pick me up. My parents were not pleased to find out I got the lump from falling on the ice on the creek... and of course that got my sister in big trouble!

I honestly remember nothing else from Kindgergarten but I do have a photo of me - the only one I have from all my school years. The photographer made me take off my glasses for the picture (You can see a bit of them in my hand) and I found that very upsetting as everything was blurry. Funny what stays with us over the years.

No comments: