November 13, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 46): Frosty Mornings!

It's Week 46 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Please join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Share a memory here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but write! Leave a legacy for your children and grandchildren.

My sister asked me a few days ago if I remember how cold it was in our house in the winter mornings. The only heat was from my mother's coal burning cookstove in the kitchen, so our upstairs bedrooms were frigid in the winter.

We had a 4 bedroom war-time house so you can probably imagine how cold it must have been in the 2 upstairs bedrooms where we children slept.

She said she used to race downstairs every morning to stand in front of the cookstove to get warm before dishing out the breakfast of oatmeal for me and my two brothers. Mother made a huge pot of oatmeal at the beginning of the week before she went to work, and that is what we ate very morning for breakfast. It was always simmering on the stove and to this day I love oatmeal.

I honestly don't recall the cold that well because I was only 4 when we moved to our 2 story house in Ajax Ontario. I do remember the cookstove, but I think mother got a newer stove when I was around 6, and I know that we got an oil furnace before I was 8. It sat right in the living room!

It's kind of hard to imagine heating a home from a cookstove given these days of electric heaters, electric fireplaces, propane fireplaces, forced air heating and other conveniences.

Did you experience any frosty mornings as a child?

1 comment:

Kristin said...

We heated with a wood furnace for 23 years in Michigan. There were plenty of frosty mornings but sometimes, after the fire got going, we had to open the windows because it got too hot inside. We still heat with a wood stove but we're in Atlanta now and frosty mornings just aren't as frosty here.