Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

November 30, 2011

5 Types of Early 19th Century Photographs - a YouTube Video

I'm very excited to introduce my FIRST video about early 19th century photographs! You can watch it on Olive Tree Genealogy YouTube Channel.

Do you need help to date a treasured photo found in grandma's trunk or shoebox in the attic? Were you lucky enough to inherit great-grandma's antique photo album? Then this video is for you!

In this video I introduce five types of photographs from 1839 on - Daguerreotypes, Ambrotypes, Tintypes, CDVs (Cartes de Visite) and Cabinet Cards. In the video you will learn about the time periods in which these various photographic techniques were used and see examples from my personal collection. 


You can also visit Lost Faces for more information on 19th Century photos and examples from Civil War era  Photo Albums. I will also be making videos on Dating Photographs Using Fashion, Hairstyles, Revenue Stamps, Type of Photograph and Photographer's markings. 

I have other videos planned in this series but what would YOU like to see? If I can create it, I will. 

4 comments:

Focus Grandma! FOCUS!! said...

Thank you very much for the great video! I really enjoyed it and I think I have finally got the 5 different type understood! I am looking forward to more of these educational videos! Thank you

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to your future videos. Thanks for explaining a fascinating topic!

Leah Kleylein said...

Excellent video! Despite having read about old photograph types many times before, the way you explained has really made it clear to me - Thanks so much for doing this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this superb video. Your clear and concise explanations are exactly what is needed to understand these photograph types. I look forward to your future videos.