October 9, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 41): Thanksgiving as an Adult

It's Week 41 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Please join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Share a memory here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but write! Leave a legacy for your children and grandchildren.

You can talk about anything you want in your Journal. I'm offering ideas for topics which I hope will spark a memory or thought that you want to get down in writing.

It's the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend so of course what else would I be remembering but Thanksgiving traditions and meals and family times.  Last year one of our Sharing Memories topics was Thanksgiving, but I wrote about my childhood memories of that special day. This year I want to share a few memories of how I spent Thanksgiving as an adult.

The first Thanskgiving turkey I ever cooked on my own was when I was first married (many years ago!). I didn't realize you couldn't put a frozen turkey on top of the fridge to defrost - then leave it for two days. Oh boy did it smell!  So I really didn't cook it, but it was my first attempt.

In my 20s I enjoyed Thanksgiving with my husband's family. That was a tradition. But in my 30s and on my second marriage, I began my own traditions. I always hosted dinner, complete with traditional food - turkey with bread stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, gravy and another vegetable. Thanksgiving wasn't complete without pumpkin pie and whip cream!

This year is a bit different as none of my family can make it this year. So I'm going out tonight with hubs for a nice turkey meal at our favourite restaurant. Tomorrow we join my nephew and his wife's family for another Thanksgiving meal, but even better, as it is with family and extended family. 

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? And what did you do as a young adult? Share the memories in your own journal, whether privately or publicly is up to you.

No comments: