May 15, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 20 of 52): Movies & Popcorn

Can you believe it is Week 20 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Join in each Sunday as we write and share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Write here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

What was the first movie you ever went to? Not something you watched on television but at a movie theatre. How old were you? Who did you go with? Was the movie theatre in your town or somewhere else? What do you remember about the experience - did you buy popcorn or chocolates or candy or.... something else? Maybe it was the drive-in with a date?

I grew up in a small village about 30 minutes drive from a major city and within 15 minutes of a couple of small towns and cities. We had no movie theatre so I didn't get to do the typical Saturday routine of cartoons at the movie house.

My former sister-in-law took me to my first movie. I was about 9 years old and Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho was playing. My mother had forbidden my sister in law to take me, saying it would give me nightmares. But Jeannette took me anyway!

It was so exciting and thrilling for me to have so many special things that day. First, I was going to the MOVIES!! In Oshawa!! To me that was the big city. I was going with my SISTER IN LAW! I was so excited. And I was going to see a scary movie that I heard people talking about.

I was terrified during the movie. I don't remember what, if anything, we had to eat or drink but I suspect it was coke and popcorn. And yes, I did have nightmares from which I woke up screaming and crying. I remember my mother being so angry with Jeannette for disobeying her and as an adult I can understand why. But at the time I was full of admiration for Jeannette for standing up to my mother and not obeying.

It made me feel so special to have my brother's wife bother with me. Even though I was frightened by the movie I wouldn't change that experience for the world.

My second movie was many years later with a boyfriend when I was a teen. He took me all the way to Toronto (the BIG city!) to see Ben Hur. It was amazing as the movie theatre was huge and we sat in the front row holding hands and sharing popcorn. Ah memories are sweet!

I didn't go to very many movies as a kid or teenager and maybe that explains why I've never been a big movie goer as an adult. I prefer to watch them on my big screen tv in the comfort of my home and my easy chair!

What were your movie-going experiences?

No comments: