May 1, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 18 of 52): Learning to Drive (Zoom zoom)

It's Week 18 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Follow along each Sunday as we write and share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Write here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

I've been thinking all week about being 16 and getting my driver's license. My mom taught me to drive (no driving schools back then!) on a stick-shift car. I wish I could remember what kind it was but I don't. It might have been her little gray Envoy but I'm not sure. She took me to the parking lot of the former munitions factory in the town we lived in, and 'round and 'round I went. I think we both got whip-lash from my uncontrolled clutch applications!

I failed my first test because I couldn't parallel park (mom never taught me because there was no parallel parking in our town!) and I cut my left turns too sharply. Those were the days when you rolled down your window and stuck your arm out to signal - left turn was arm straight out, right turn was arm out and bent upwards at the elbow.

Do you remember learning to drive? Who taught you? What kind of car did you use? How old were you and when did you get your licence? What exciting or funny or scary moments do you remember about learning to drive? Were you allowed to drive the family car after you got your licence?

I was lucky. I learned to parallel park, then went back a second time and got my licence and I was allowed to drive my mother's car whenever I wanted. My father was deceased and my mom went to bed early on the weekends so the car was mine. I think I was the envy of all my girlfriends!

We'd pile into the car and off we'd go to the nearest city (Oshawa) for fun and of course to the A&W! Sitting at the lights at the four corners in Oshawa we'd rev our engines if a cute guy was in the car beside us... and screech out when the light turned green, as fast as we could go. I was one of the few, if not the only, 16 year old GIRL driving! Such fun. I don't encourage that kind of behaviour now though!

What are your stories?

2 comments:

Cheri Hopkins aka You Go Girl #2 & Sweetwater Sherry said...

Great memories! I can sure relate to the local A&W. It was great fun, too bad ours closed while I was just getting out of high school. I too learned to drive on a stick and clutch. Mom took me and my cousin to the cemetery, that is where I learned and practiced, great memories there. I think of it every time I go out to visit the cemetery and the great fun and laughs there with Mom. I even left lots of stones still standing!

hummer said...

You reminded of a story I need to write about my mom before I forget it about her getting her driver's license. Too funny. Thanks!