March 6, 2011

52 Weeks of Sharing Memories: What Did They Say?? (Week 10)

This is  is our 10th Week of  Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Follow along each Sunday as we write and sometimes share, our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be so thankful that you did!

This week's topic is Sayings or Expressions your Parents and Grandparents used. We've all heard them. We might even be guilty of continuing the pattern with our own children! You know, like the one where a parent says "I don't care who started it, I'm going to stop it" or "Two wrongs don't make a right"

My mom always used to say "Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" whenever something went wrong. I never understood what she meant until I was quite a bit older! I thought it was funny, kind of encouraging  your children to make a bad deed REALLY bad if you're going to do it!

Whenever mom was hungry she'd say "My stomach thinks my throat's been cut" I thought that was quite a colourful image when I was a child!

My husband's Grandma's favourite expression was "Least said, soonest mended" and she'd clam up and refuse to reveal anything she considered a secret.

What expressions or sayings did your parents and grandparents use?

No comments: