Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

December 5, 2010

Sharing Memories: Advent Calendar for December Genealogy Journal

Today was scheduled to be Week One of our second round of 52 Weeks of Sharing Memories. Sharing Memories is a way of writing a Genealogy Journal - our own! Genealogists are often so busy tracking down detail on an ancestor's life, that we forget how important our own life and memories will be to descendants in the future.

Last year I started a weekly topic to help us write our Genealogy Journals and share those memories for the future. We finished our 52 weeks and I turned my Genealogy Journal into a book which I'm giving to my children this Christmas.

I have decided that I won't begin my next set of topics for Sharing Memories. until the New Year and that will be Sunday January 2, 2011.

But for the rest of Decemember I invite you to follow along with Thomas MacEntee's Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories. It's a great way to continue writing when you have time in this busy season.

So far the Advent Calendar suggestions have covered the following memories:


Lorine - Christmas 1960s

December 1 - The Christmas Tree


December 2 - Holiday Foods

December 3 - Christmas Tree Ornaments


December 4 - Christmas Cards

December 5 - Outdoor Decorations

I started wrapping gifts and decorating the tree today, and that brought back lots of memories of the wonderful skinny little Santas that we used to hang on our tree. I wish I had them now! That's me in front of the tree at our family home in the early '60s. You can see one of the skinny Santas hanging. Sadly I have none of our family ornaments but I did love decorating the tree every year.

No comments: