November 14, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 50): Santa Claus Parade

This is Week 50 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. Your memories are your legacy to your children and grandchildren. Don't let them be lost over time. Join us and write your memories down, either privately or as a comment on this blog or on your own blog.

This week I've been thinking about the Santa Claus Parade. My birthday is November 15th and every year for my birthday my dad took us to the Santa Claus Parade in Toronto.

It was supposed to be a treat but for me it was a nightmare. I was prone to car-sickness and all the way from our village to the City (about half an hour to 45 minutes)I would be feeling very queasy, sometimes throwing up.

I also remember my brothers and sister being mad at me because I always got the window seat on any trip we took(easier to hang my head out the window as I tossed my cookies), and because there were four of us in the back seat and only two windows, each of them only got a window seat once every three times we went anywhere.

The drive through city streets behind smelly buses and streetcars would almost do me in. By the time we parked and found a good spot, I'd sit on the edge of the curb with my head hanging, wishing I were home and trying not to throw up! And dreading the drive back home. So the parade was not fun for me at all.

When I was older and married I used to watch the parade on tv and that was a much more pleasant experience!

No comments: