September 5, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 40): Trips & Adventures

This is Week 40 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. Your memories are your legacy to your children and grandchildren. Don't let them be lost over time. Share them either here with us as a comment on this blog, on your own blog, or privately in a journal.

Do you remember any trips - holidays, vacations, adventures of any kind that you took with your parents or grandparents? Maybe your grandparents told you about trips they took.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. The first time I ever flew on an airplane was 1961. My mother and I went to New York City for a few days - it was so exciting! I didn't know I had a fear of heights until we took the elevator up in the Empire State Building. I was clinging to the wall when we walked outside. I grew up in a tiny village and had never been higher than 3 stories in my life! I did enjoy that trip though.

I don't recall any other trips although we did go to Algonquin Park every summer when I was a child. At least it seemed like every summer. I hated it. The tent smelled. I was scared of the animals in the woods. The Lake was full of leeches. Not my idea of fun at all!

I remember my father driving us north into the woods of northern Ontario, then consulting maps and charts to walk through the thick brush and forest to get to a site where a cottage sat or a vacant lot for sale. Ugh, my sister and I both suffered on those walks - hot, tired, thirsty and covered in mosquitoes which were thick around us. I have a vague memory of once sitting in the car waiting for my mom and dad to return on one of those jaunts. We couldn't open the windows due to clouds of mosquitoes or maybe it was black flies, and we had no water so we were miserable!

Join in and tell us about your memories of trips and adventures. Were they fun? Relaxing? An adventure? Jot them down before they are forgotten.

No comments: