Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

June 17, 2010

Great Grandma, When Did you have your Portrait Taken?


Do you have old photographs that you can't put a year to? Are you wondering when that gorgeous photo of great-grandma Olive was taken?

For help identifying Ancestor Photos, you may find these links helpful

* Types of Early Photographs

* Hints for Dating Old Photographs

* Dating Old Photographs through Clothing & Hairstyle
* How Revenue Stamps Can Date Ancestor Photos

Once you've looked through the examples and read how to date an old photo, you may want to have a peek at the Civil War Era family photo albums I collect and place online on Lost Faces.

View Ancestor Photo Albums

2 comments:

Nora said...

Oh.. Thank you for this !!
Have I told you I LOVE your blog??
Because I DO !!!
Have a beautiful day ~

St said...

Thank you for these links! I am always locating old photos at antique fairs and such and it breaks my heart that these are being sold just because they are old. I try to collect as many as I can and I plan on eventually post them to photo family sites or at the Gene Pool itself. Being able to date photos, even if within a 10 year span of time, is so helpful