May 30, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 26): Soldiers in Your Family

This is Week 26 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. I hope you'll join us with your memories! Write them down - you don't have to share them. Your memories can be private - write them in a journal at home, or they can be shared publicly here on OliveTreeGenealogy Blog or on your own Blog.

In honour of Memorial Day weekend in the United States I'm going to write about the soldiers in my family - both immediate and ancestral.

This is a subject near and dear to my heart because my youngest son is in the Canadian Military, and my father was a Lieutenant during WW2.

My grandmother's 5 brothers fought in WW1, and one of them, Edgar Peer, never came home.

On my other grandmother's side, two of her brothers fought in WW1 and one, Ernie, I wrote about yesterday.

There are many other such heroes in my family - including my ancestors Isaac Vollick, his son Cornelius Volilck and Jonas Larroway who fought as Loyalists in Butler's Rangers during the American Revolution.

My ancestor Levi Peer lost a brother (Stephen Peer) during the War of 1812. And the list goes on. I plan to write about all of them and hopefully their stories and memories will not be lost to future generations.

No comments: